Coronavirus (COVID-19) Information

​Governor Murphy’s signing of Executive Order No. 149Opens in new window reopened child care centers in the state of New Jersey beginning June 15, 2020. If you were using a child care center before the public health crisis, we encourage you to contact them to learn of their plans. If you need help paying for child care, you can apply for the state’s regular Child Care Subsidy Program. To give you a sense of whether you would be eligible for the Child Care Subsidy Program, the income maximum for a family of four is $53,000 annually. Use our calculator to see if you are likely to be eligible. If you need help finding child care, contact your local Child Care Resource and Referral (CCR&R) Agency. For more information on updated health and safety standards for child care, visit the Department of Children and Families (DCF) website Opens in new window. The NJ Department of Health also has released guidance for reopening child care, this guidance document Opens in new window outlines public health recommendations and does not supersede requirements set forth by DCF.

Families are children's first and most important teachers. Families' involvement in children's learning at home as well as in child care and early learning programs can impact lifelong health and child development.

Child care and early learning providers and teachers play a central role in partnering with families on their children's learning and development. Therefore, it is important that families have access to information to help them make the right choices when selecting child care programs.

This website will help families learn more about:

Child Care Subsidy Program Eligibility Requirements

The New Jersey Child Care Subsidy Program helps income-eligible parents who are in school or working to pay for child care. You can use your subsidy at any licensed, regulated, registered or approved child care or early learning program that accepts subsidy payments. If you are thinking about or are applying for a child care subsidy to help you pay for care, our calculator will let you know if you may be eligible and estimate your copay amount. 

Commitment to safe, reliable, affordable child care

The federal Child Care Development Block Grant Reauthorization (CCDBG) Act of 2014 had two overall goals: give working parents access to affordable, easy to get child care, and improve the health, safety and quality of child care and early learning programs through more rigorous requirements.
In New Jersey, all child care and early learning programs that accept, or wish to accept, child care subsidies must comply with the requirements set forth by CCDBG. 
These requirements, among other things, clearly define who must be fingerprinted, what kinds of child care programs must be inspected and monitored, and requires that all child care programs complete health and safety training. In addition, specific information about the status of a child care program's license and whether any complaints have been filed are made public online.
The Department of Human Services, Division of Family Development (DHS/DFD) is committed to increasing access to high-quality programs across the state. Providers who are interested in participating in the Child Care Subsidy Program are required to be licensed, regulated, registered or approved, meet DHS/DFD requirements to qualify for funding and are required to comply with federal requirements.
If you would like more information about these federal requirements, visit our Child Care Subsidy Program Requirements and CCDBG page


Back to top of page