As so many families know, child care costs can take up a lot of the monthly budget. The Child Care Assistance Program can help lower-income families who are working, in training or in school, or a combination of these activities to pay a portion of their child care.
If you are thinking about or are applying for a child care assistance, here’s what you need to know.
Applying for Child Care Assistance 
As an applicant/parent seeking child care assistance, you will be required to provide proof of income, training/school hours and household size to help determine eligibility. All required documents must be submitted to be considered for assistance.
Applicant(s)/Parents Eligibility Requirements                                                                                         
  • Must be a New Jersey resident;
  • Must meet income requirements and not have assets that exceed $1 million; and
  • Must be working full time (30 hours or more a week), attending school full time (12 credits or more), or in job training (at least 20 hours a week).
Child Eligibility Requirements 
  • Up to the age of 13, or less than age 19, if under the NJ Division of Child Protection and Permanency’s protective supervision or mentally or physically incapable of self-care;
  • Must be a US Citizen or qualified non-citizen; and
  • Must reside with parent(s), or individual(s) acting as parent(s) (in loco parentis).
 Provider Eligibility Requirements 
  • Providers can be licensed child care centers, registered family child care homes, approved homes (in-home and family, friend or neighbor), school-based programs or summer youth camps that are approved by the state; and
  • Eligible providers must comply with all Child Care Development Block Grant (CCDBG) requirements including completing numerous health and safety trainings and required criminal background checks.
Completing and Submitting an Application 
To get started, you must first complete, sign and submit an application with the required documents to the Child Care Resource and Referral (CCR&R) agency in your county. The application is available to download from the right side of this page.


Child Care for Homeless Families
Experiencing homelessness and needing child care services is a challenge. We make it easier for you to receive help paying for child care even if you don’t have all of the required documents. If you lack a fixed and adequate nighttime residence, you would meet the definition of homeless. Specifically that means living in:
  • Shared housing due to loss of housing, economic hardship, or a similar reason;
  • Motels, hotels, or campgrounds because you don’t have alternative accommodations;
  • Emergency or transitional shelters;
  • Locations not designed or intended for human sleeping, such as park benches; or
  • Cars, parks, public spaces, bus or train stations, or abandoned buildings.
If you are facing one of these situations and are unable to provide the necessary documents with your application, you may have up to six months to submit the required paperwork. During this time, your family can start receiving child care assistance. Your Child Care Resource and Referral agency can help or you can call the Child Care Helpline at 1-800-332-9227.